Get Your Nursing License
Learn about nurse licensing and the steps you need to take to get your nursing licensure.
Nursing License Overview
There has never been a better time to attend nursing school or get your nursing license with the current nursing shortage, health care reform and demand for qualified health care professionals. Read the question and answer below and discover how getting nurse licensing may be easier than you think. Just learn the steps you need to take to get your nursing license and find the nursing school that's right for you!
What requirements must I fulfill in order to obtain a nursing license?
Nursing license requirements vary by state, but according to the National Council of State Boards of Nursing , the minimum requirements for both registered nurse (RN) and licensed practical nurse (LPN) candidates are:
- You must graduate, or provide verification of completion and eligibility for graduation, from a state-approved nursing program.
- You must pass the NCLEX® examination.
- You must self-report any and all criminal convictions, chemical dependencies, and functional ability deficits.
What roll do State Boards of Nursing play in nursing licensure?
State Boards of Nursing are the governmental agencies in charge of setting guidelines for nursing licensure and practice. The State Boards are responsible for evaluating nursing license applications, administering the licensure exams, and for making sure that licensed nurses operate according to the ethical and legal guidelines that they have established in accordance with the federal government.
How can I contact my State Board for my license information?
To access a complete list of contact information for State Boards of Nursing, click here.
Related Nursing Articles
- Online Nursing School Q&A
- Nursing Salaries for LPNs, RNs and APs
- Contacts for State Boards of Nursing
- Nurse Licensing Requirements Q&A
- How Important are Nursing School Rankings?
- What Accreditation Means for a Nursing School
- 5 Tips for Nursing Grants & Financial Aid
- 5 Trending Nursing Career Fields
- Compare Different Nursing Careers
- Nursing as a Second Career