Nurse Practitioner Overview: Quick Facts
Learn what you'll do as a nurse practitioner and see if you have the right personality for the job.
What You'll Do
- Diagnose and treat acute illnesses, injuries and infections
- Write prescriptions for medications, including their dosage and frequency
- Order and conduct diagnostic tests, like electrocardiograms (EKGs) and x-rays
- Teach patients about managing their health, make recommendations and design treatment plans
- Examine and record patient medical histories, symptoms and diagnoses
- Provide guidance to patients about medications, side effects and interactions
It's always nice to feel wanted and right now, nurses are wanted throughout the country. The nurse practitioner profession can be a highly rewarding career with plenty of opportunities to help others and take on a much-needed role in the health care industry. Nurse practitioners have a lot of options these days from where they work to what they focus on. By helping to prevent disease and promote healthy living, nurse practitioners are referred to as true "Partners in Health" by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP). Learn what traits and skills are needed to succeed as a nurse practitioner.
|You are...||You should have...|
|Supportive||Good decision-making skills|
|Dependable||Good ethical standards|
|A clear communicator||Critical thinking skills|
|Good-natured||Good interpersonal relationship skills|
|An excellent listener|